Tuesday, March 31, 2009

From Wall Street to Suite 370E – a sad twist to the current credit crisis.


Things are a little slow at AFS this week. Sometimes bad economic news makes people have second thoughts about having kids, but we’re not worried - the urge to reproduce is hard-wired into our species, otherwise there would be some other species reading this. And we ascribe to the King Perry Philosophy of Small Business Economics (he wrote a song called “Keep a Dollar in Your Pocket”). And success rates at the office have never been better.

But we were a little shaken recently by one of our infertility patients, who announced that she was getting an abortion.

She had been trying to conceive for over 3 years and had undergone about 10 cycles of clomiphene elsewhere before she was referred to us. We bumped up her dose, added an intrauterine insemination, and she got pregnant in her first cycle here. “We didn’t think it would work so quickly!” she said. (Hey, that’s what you pay me for.)

Turns out her husband (who has a chronic medical condition) works at a local car dealership that is letting people go because of slow sales. Family health insurance will be quite expensive when the baby comes, and they may not have jobs. She went to the abortion clinic the other day, but it was too early in the pregnancy to do the procedure, and her blood pressure was really high. (I wonder if her husband is more anxious to take this route than she is – might explain the blood pressure issue, as her pressures were always fine before this.) We tried to talk her out of it, but I don’t think we changed her mind.

There is never a perfect time for a pregnancy, but this seems like irrational thinking to me. It’s a sad time for us.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How horrible!! I would have taken that sweet baby if she didn't want it, and so would thousands of other's! I don't understand how people think at all. My husband and I will be back in to start tests at some point in June. I can't wait to hold a little one for the first time. Thanks for all that you and your staff do!

Sasha said...

I recently experienced 2 miscarriages. The first in Dec 08, the second Aug 09. This has been very devastating for me and my husband. I have a 12 yr old son from a previous marriage but my husband has no biological children. I have been laid off for 1.5yrs now and decided to try getting pregnancy while I had this time off. My husband still works and we have great insurance But things are very tight for us financially. We decided that we wouldnt allow the recession to control our family and want to push forward but now fear has set in on so many levels. I understand this couple had to make a very hard decision. I dont think abortion would have been my option but I certainly understand the difficulties they were facing. I was referred to AFS by my doctor but after reading about this couple Im more reluctant. Maybe God was trying to tell us that it just was not the time to bring a baby into the world. I am so confused, so sad, so angry right now, Im not sure I am capable of making the right decision. Any thoughts?